I am a winer and occasionally a whiner. In this blog I will write about all my wining experiences (and occasionally whine about the wine horror stories, yes they do exist!). I will review and describe in detail all the good, the bad, and the ugly wines, and provide my own rating system, which is much simpler than the Wine Spectator, et al (and what does 92 points really mean anyway??).

As I am also a writer, be prepared for the long-winded sentences of wine description, and the use of many a metaphor in my wining adventures.

Swirl, sniff, sip, and enjoy!

wine

wine

Monday, March 21, 2011

Why Wine?

Why is wine good?  Why is wine worthy of writing a blog about?

Well, here's a case in point: I'm highly allergic to work.  Today is the first day of work after spring break, and all of a sudden, my neck and shoulder started hurting at work after sitting at the computer.  When I came home, the pain somewhat subsided (aided by a couple of ibuprophen).  After the wine learning and tasting class at The Wine Room, a charming friendly store in Williamsville, and having tasted the whole of 9! wines, my neck and shoulder pain is only a memory.  Which proves the point that wine is GOOD.

Here are some great quotes by some wise thinkers about wine:

“Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.” by none other but our founding father Benjamin Franklin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend, one's present or future thirst, the excellence of the wine, or any other reason.” Latin Proverb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wine gives courage and makes men more apt for passion.”  Ovid (an Ancient Roman guy)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“No nation is drunken where wine is cheap; and none sober, where the dearness of wine substitutes ardent spirits as the common beverage. It is, in truth, the only antidote to the bane of whiskey.” by another great founding father Tomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" by Galileo Galilei (the guy who found that sadly the Earth was not the center of the universe)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wine is at the head of all medicines; where wine is lacking, drugs are necessary."
The Talmud (the Jewish religious book)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally: 
"Where there is no wine there is no love." by Euripides (another ancient dude, but from Greece)




 So it's truly proven that wine is essential for human happiness and life satisfaction.  Wine is passion and love and sunshine in a bottle (if you're drinking the white one).  Wine is a whole world captured in one sip.  I've tasted wine that I wanted to swim in.  I've lost myself in a sunny meadow of a French Chardonnay.  I buried myself deeply in the earthy moss of a Bordeaux.  I've met a perfect bottle of Italian Merlot I fell in love with and wanted to marry.

In short, I have succumbed to the world of wine geeks and junkies and this is my new (and hopefully lasting) obsession.


1 comment:

  1. OMG! So many people obsessed with wine! We really live in a world of alcoholics! Be careful not to follow in your father's steps! Remember: MODERATION is what makes it good!

    ReplyDelete